South Liberties G.A.A. Club
This page was researched and written by the pupils of Scoil An Spioraid Naoimh
It was in Halvey's workshop in Ballysheedy about a quarter of a mile past Spellacy's pub on the right hand side that South Liberties G.A.A club was founded in 1884. From 1900 to the 1940's the headquarters were in the Purcell's house now home to Kilcoynes. After that the headquarters moved to Ballyneety until 1984 when Dooley Memorial Park opened.
It is in memory of Johnny Dooley who was one of South Liberties most famous characters and hurlers. J.P McManus was South Liberties youngest ever Chairman. Paddy Shanahan was the longest serving Chairman in the history of the club. In 1911 South Liberties got to the Limerick Intermediate Hurling final. It took them over thirty years to do this again.
In 1972 South Liberties won the Limerick Senior Hurling Championship. From this team Eamonn Grimes, Pat Hartigan and Joe McKenna went on to play for Limerick the following year. Eamonn Grimes captained the Senior Limerick team that won the McCarthy Cup in 1973. He was a great honour for the South Liberties Club to have the Captain and two other such prominent members of the winning all Ireland team. The South Liberties colours are green and gold.