Written and researched by the fifth class pupils of Saint John's Girls School.
Saint John's Cathedral
Saint John's Cathedral was designed by the English architect Thomas Hardwick. The foundation stone was laid in May 1856 by Bishop John Ryan. Many years ago there was a cemetary built around the Church where many bishops were burried.The altar is made from Limerick marble and alabaster. The substructure of the altar is designed from alabaster and coloured marble adorned in the centre by a group carved in pure white alabaster depicting the sacrifice of Abraham. There are a number of stain glass windows in the cathedral. The windows are dedicated to St Joseph, St Ita, Jesus Christ, Mary, John the Baptist, Bishop John Ryan and Saint Brigid.
Six bishops lie buried in the cathedral. Bishop Ryan and Bishop O'Dwyer lie buried in the main aisle in front of the high altar. Bishop Butler and Bishop Hallinan lie between the main aisle and the south door. Bishop Keane and Bishop Newman lie buried in front of the Blessed Sacrament on the North side of the Cathedral.
Back to the Top of the Page