Only twelve foot of the northern wall and a portion of the southern wall stand today. Its walls are still sturdy and strong.There are also remains of four corner defence positions.
Castle is situated on the Ouvane river .It was built in the 1540s by Dermot O’
Sullivan (Dairmuid an Phudair).
After his death his brother and son were also killed. Another of his sons called
Owen succeeded to take over the castle in 1563-1577.After that his nephew Donal
Cam claim the castle.In 1565 Owen surrendered his lands to the crown in an
agreement and was knighted by Queen Elizabeth. He didn’t help the Desmond
Rebels or the English. For that he was thrown into jail in Dublin.During this
time Donal took over Carriganass and made it his base.It was during this time he
made his first claim.Sir Owens answer when he was released from gaol was to
evict him from Carriganass.Eventually in 1593 the English divided the territory
in an arrangement which satisfied nobody.Donal Cam got the territory called
Beara and Sir Owen got the area Bantry.Sir Owen died the following year and the
dispute continued between his sonOwen and Donal Cam now called O’ Sullivan
Beara.Donal Cam took possession of possession of Carriganass once again.His
cousin Owen opposed him in every move.On Donal Cams defeat and depart were for
Spain where he died.Owen became chief of the whole territory but his tenure was
an empty one, the real power laid with the crown.