Scoil Íde which opened in 1969 replaced the old school(stone building) across the road in 1865. The boundary walls of this school still remain. The school is situated in a location known as Curranes which seems to apply to the school only, as no household in the area has the same address.This may be the result of the school being built under British rule.
The religious name St. Íde wasn't applied to the school until after the country became a free state.
The name Curranes -Scoil na gCorrán may have been derived from the Curranes
river (which can be found close to the site where the old school stood) and
meanders down through the glen.
Curranes: Na Corráin ( the crescents, or angles )
Doolaig: Dúláig ? ( black water ? )
Dooneen: An Dúinín ( the little fortification )
Fahaduff: An Fhaiche Dhubh ( the black green )
Knockananlig: Cnoc an Anlaigh ( Hill of swallows )
Lackabaun: An Leaca Bhán ( the white slope )
Mullaghmarky: Mullac Mairce ( summit of the mare )
Moanmore: An Mhóin Mhór ( the big peat bog )
Tullagubbeen: Tulaig Góibín ( mound of the little beak ). 'Tulligibbin' is the form found in the Census of 1659.